Friday, February 02, 2007

Rumours

Is there any company where people dont get involved in rumours?

So far, all the companies I have worked in "thrive" in rumour mongering. As if there isn't anything else that's more exciting.

One of my colleagues (an irritating one) asked me straight in my face today whether it's true that "someone" told him I will be transferring out to another department soon. He even knew which department! He did not even bother keeping it discreet and asked me loudly in front of another 2 colleagues.

Well, I had to tell a white lie...I denied it. To me, it's still not true because it's still not confirmed. I am supposed to apply for the job when it is posted for vacancy. The position is not even vacant yet!

Where do these people get their sources of rumours? It amazes me. And why do people bother wanting to "verify" something that had nothing to do with them?

Unfortunately, I think I lack practise in telling lies, white or otherwise. I dont think the 3 of them were convinced with my answer. Perhaps my surprised expression (I was very much caught off-guard), or my slightly shaky "no", gave me away? I just walked away, leaving them to ponder whether I was lie-ing or not.

Why do people enjoy spreading rumours? Is there nothing else exciting in their lifes, that they have to resort to rumour mongering to spice their life up? Don't they understand the meaning of "private & confidential"?

6 comments:

Kris said...

some people just cant keep secrets. even funnier, sometimes it is the HR that leak the news!

was once asked by a junior that how i managed to stay away from politics (as I dont mingle with them during lunch). Am I happy for doing so ..

Biow said...

wah.. news travel soo fast? someone reading your blog?!

Spot said...

Things never stay P&C, mainly because there's always more than two ppl who have access to emails. Bosses have secretaries. People mention things to people. Ppl print things and leave them lying about for the rest of the world to see - "P&C" means nothing.

HR and Accounts departments are notorious for leaks.

It's the same everywhere, really.

I prefer to evade rather than commit a yes or no. The evasion in itself gives away that something's up, but so what if it does?

The point is you neither confirmed yes or no, so the person asking doesnt get verification anyway.

Take it easy. If you start on the assumption that everyone will find out anyway, you have less stress. A job is a job is a job is a job. Transfers and resignations happen all the time, no big deal. They wanna get excited about it, let it be lah.

Phoenix Heart said...

ya lor, I dont care. Anyway, that colleague is always irritating. I can't stand him.

No lar, no one in the office knows about my blog.

Anyway, I didnt mention which department in my blog ma :) I dont even mention my company's name, if u notice.

But someone mentioned my company's name in the comments before, I think...

Mia said...

Actually, u mentioned the nama syarikat in one of your comments... yicks!

Anyway.. interesting news ! Tell us more when we meet.

Phoenix Heart said...

aiya, u are right. "ter-mentioned" lar, without realising.

no way to edit the comments hor? darn!

hmmm, also realised that the comments in my blog only shows the time, but no dates...anyone can tell me how to turn that on in the settings?