Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Hunt for October

Right, I meant the hunt for a house, but that didnt sound like an interesting enough title.

It's been more than a month since my last posting...maklum lah, I had no access to internet, being in my barely furnished new home.

This is my 2nd week here in Miri. So far, the weather is hot (so hot!), the colleagues are nice, the boss is demanding but hilarious (thank goodness), the work is new & complicated, and the house hunting was tiring.

All in all, I'd say that my first 2 weeks here have been pretty good generally.

After much effort of looking at a never-ending list of dilapidated houses for rent, or houses in dodgy-looking surroundings, and also dreaming of staying in one of the nicer-looking ones (which fetch freakin' expensive rentals), I finally found a decent-looking one with an affordable rent in a safe enough looking neighbourhood. The owner was even kind enough to agree to renovation on the downstairs bathroom i.e. to change the squatting toilet to a sitting one, and to add a hot water shower.

It's also partly furnished, so I dont have to spend much money buying much furniture, except those which I want or need to make living there more comfortable.

I will be living quite closely to my office, an estimated 5 minutes drive away, and it's about 15 minutes drive to the city center. In Miri, anything is within 10-15 minutes drive. Exceed 15, then it's considered "very far".

I like it that we start work earlier and could go off earlier too if work permits. The sun is up bright & shiny by about 6.15am, and the day is pitch dark by 7.15pm. So the day starts early for everyone here in Miri.

Rise & shine to a hot & sunny day! Hmmm...it really is very hot here.

3 comments:

Debz said...

wow... cool... well, for me anything more than 30 mins drive is faraway.... erm ... hence me working in d'sara hgts area. lol.

glad you've found a decent place to stay.

does that mean i have to bring my own sleeping bag when we go visit?

Mia said...

eh.. how early u start work? 7am?

Phoenix Heart said...

Debz,
no sleeping bag required. there are 2 old mattresses left behind by the owner. still usable & i will "febreeze" it for future visitor use, k?

Ame,
we have flexi hours, we can start 7-9am. so I chose to start at 8am.

so nice hor? :)