Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hillock - The Continental Cuisine

Well, Hillock ain't exactly a very "canggih" name for a restaurant serving continental French cuisine.

So, in French, it's called Lafite. The French restaurant in Shangrila Hotel.

I was given a farewell dinner treat last night by my previous manager, Eugene, together with another staff of mine (who also used to work for him). When we walked into the hotel, I was expecting to go towards Lemon Garden, the very yummy (but quite pricy also) buffet cafe there.

I was quite taken aback when he walked towards Lafite! Gosh, it was going to cost him a "bomb".

Arriving at the entrance, the waiter showed us to our table which was set in a dimly lit, romantic background. The restaurant was set to give the illussion that it is round in shape.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw the prices on the food menu. Only the appetizers and starters had double digit prices. Most of the other mains had 3-digits prices!

So "hak hei", didnt know what to order. So we both used Eugene's choice of the main as the ceiling benchmark, and went for items priced cheaper than his.

We ordered 3 mains (the salmon, scallops and cod fish) and shared amongst us so we could taste all of it. Eugene also called 2 portions of lobster salad and 1 portion of escargot for appetizers, and a bottle of Chateau wine to wash it all down with.

The food was heavenly, especially the scallop and cod fish, cooked to perfection.

It was also my first time eating lobster! (so "kesian", isn't it?) And the escargot....mmm, so yummy!

All in all, it was a memorable dinner experience for me, and the most expensive one ever too...I think the total bill easily came up to more than RM1k for the three of us!

5 comments:

Spot said...

Wah, how nice! Very generous of him.

I swore up and down never to go to Lafite again after the first time. :D The quality of the food (although nice) does not match the price. Paying for the premium ambience, really. It's the Shang, after all. :)

Phoenix Heart said...

Indeed so generous...haha, maybe got "udang di sebalik batu"?

Ya, I wouldn't pay that kind of price either. But it's nice to be able to experience it at least once...

Mia said...

wowee.. mahalnya. I think I will stick to Le Bouchen altho i have not ever been there... Have yet to taste malaysian French food! Unless the goat cooks

Spot said...

Le Bouchon's food is more of the kampung style, ie rustic.

But not as expensive as Lafite and I hear that the food quality does match the price. Not being situated in a 5 star hotel does have its perks. :)

Debz said...

whoa.... wonder why ppl spent so much money at a restaurant like that.. if they have that kinda money, they might as well fly to paris for that. ... in fact, that just reminds me of my friend David, who flew to paris just to watch moulin rouge... live.