Tuesday, February 28, 2006

All about Miri

I finally had a telecon with my potential boss yesterday evening. He is in-charge of several teams in Miri, one of them the Financial Asset Management team. Seemed like a nice man; friendly, conversant and straight-to-the-point kind of guy.

He filled me in on the job description, which is managing a staff of about 6 people, doing cost analysis, capital budgeting and tracking, business process improvements, internal controls and financial planning modelling. Sounds like something I am willing to get my hands dirty on, and I will be very involved in the "business". No more monthly financial closing of accounts and dealing with auditors and tax submissions, or systems support. *yucks*

Anyhow, not sure what my ex-boss really said, but he has really "sold" me to my potential boss. I am so afraid that the level of expectation is so high, that I may disappoint them when I am in there. I hope not...

After talking for more than half an hour, my potential boss was telling me that he is very keen to have me, more so now that he knows me better through our short telecon. He will be pushing the HR to grant me that higher basic I am asking for, to further reduce the paycut I have to take.

I am also very keen to experience this whole new adventure I wrote about earlier, as everything sounds really new, exciting and fits my interest. I do hope that the actual experience will be just as good, or better, than it sounds now.

But my mother...she is trying to discourage me from taking this offer now that the door of opportunity is right in front of my face. She changed her mind. She was so supportive earlier when I checked with her first before I embarked on this idea. She liked the idea of coming over to stay with me in Miri off and on too, but now she is hesitant...I guess the realisation that I will be so distant from her on those other times she is not there, has set in now that I've got the offer in my hand and am on the brink of accepting it.

Old people just don't like changes, they prefer the comfort zone of familiar surroundings and arrangements. I'd love to have her over full time in Miri with me, but she wants to hang on living in Melaka on her own. So that's why I suggested she come with me to Miri off and on instead, which she gladly accepted earlier, until yesterday...

Am I a bad daughter? Am I selfish to want to take this offer anyway despite her showing her reluctance to let me go? Or should I really reject this offer because of my mother's fear of change?

This is something I need to ponder deeply, and hope that I will have the best (if not right) answer when the time is ripe.

3 comments:

Spot said...

I knew this would happen, just no point saying it earlier, would have made no difference to the decision.

It's only natural that she'll feel like this. Even though flying is so easy these days, the whole process of going to airport, checking in, waiting, flying etc is very tiring to do often, for older ppl.

Her emotions are likely to get worse as the time comes for you to really go. You've never been longer than a (relatively) short drive away from Malacca. It'll be hard for her to take.

BUT. If you don't take it, there is bound to be huge regret on your side, and when things are down, you'll probably get bitter about it.

Not an easy situation. The ball is not really in your hands, actually.

It's up to your mum to accept and let you go without a heavy heart.

Biow said...

nope.. u'r not a bad daughter..
need to give her time to let the idea sink.. anyway, old ppl keeps changing their mind.. but, when she see you doing well, she will be at ease.. at least, that's my observations of my parents.

Phoenix Heart said...

Biow, thanks for the support. I do hope the idea sinks in quickly, coz I dont want to feel so torn for too long. It kills me...