Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Valentine's Day gift...

..or ungift (is there such a word???)

On Feb 14 2006, i got a call during my lunch hour. Filled my stomach & all not too long ago, and was just browing around in the shopping complex when my handphone rang...that loud, sharp classical music I chose which you can almost always hear through all that noise although the phone may be tucked away snugly in my handbag.

I looked at the LCD screen...the number says it's a call from East Malaysia. Ah! It's a call I have been waiting for anxiously all of last week.

"Hello?" I said as I picked up the call..."Hello, is this so-and-so?" and the usual greeting exchanges were made. The moment I was waiting for finally came, when the person informed of the good news (well, good at the point), that I have been selected and am being offered a job there.

Yes! The adrenalin sored through my bloodstream, and the excited feeling just rushed through my head. It's an opportunity I was exploring about a month ago, to make a move to and experience a whole new place, meet new people, work for a new company, new bosses, with a new job function (a dynamic one, I was hoping). Currently, I am SO stuck doing a job I don't like (although the money is good), with a working environment that I can't seem to fit in, although it's been almost 2 years here.

Anyhow, then the guy went on to tell me the terms of the offer...and when I heard it (the package and all), my heart fell to the pits of my stomach with sore disappointment. I had to take a huge paycut, even with all the value of benefits included in. With all my existing financial obligations, how can I take up a job like that? Considering that I was willling to relocate and practically start a new life in a foreign land, I should be compensated for that, no? To top it off, he couldn't even tell me what the job description was, or whom the position will be reporting too!
By the way, this IS a big established organisation we are talking about, not some Ah Kau Sdn Bhd, ok? Oh well, am trying to see how much they really want me...to try and get them to repackage the offer (but very unlikely to happen, apparently), but don't try won't know, right?

*sigh* Perhaps it's not meant to be? Well, figured that if it IS meant to be, then things will work out fine for me in the end. The impact of my disappointment is probably not as clear here, as I failed to write about the trouble I took to get the interview and the sneaking around to get there for the interview (too lazy to write about that part now...) Well, anyone reading this, just cross all your fingers, toes, arms, legs and whatever else that can be crossed, for me ok?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in life, there're things that money can't measure.

go with your heart, and u'll be fine.

all the best!