Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bosses - Today and Yesterday

Unless we venture into our own business, we will always have bosses to deal with.

Not too long ago, I realised the importance of having a good relationship with my boss. I find that I work better and more efficiently, and will have a willing heart to put in that extra effort anytime, if I respect my boss and he respects me in return. It is a two-way relationship, one which is nurtured to slowly grow, and remain strong even after many years later...much like any other relationship, be it courting or friendship.

The two most significant experiences with bosses in my life so far, were in my first and second jobs.

In my first job, there were 2 managers I worked with whom have left both footprints and scars in my heart respectively. I was young and naive at that time, and fell victim to one of the managers' hunt for young flesh. As a result, he pulled my spirits down to the lowest pit. I was totally lost and disillusioned, thinking that the world is such a cruel, heartless place, and that I was stupid not to have handled the situation better.

Fortunately, there was a kind soul, another of my managers, who saw me drowning and heard my calls for help. He reached out and helped me out of the pit I was in and protected me (some other senior colleagues also joined in to protect me later)....and for that, I am eternally grateful. Today, no longer my boss, the kind man is one of my many good friends. The other? I keep my distance from as best I can.

In my 2nd job, I was enthusiastic again that all is not bad after all. There are good people around, good, humane bosses in the midst of the many power-hungry ones. My relationship with my 2nd boss was good. No, it was great. He was the ultimate boss in the organisation's hierarchy, the COO, but he "came down to my level" to try and understand the work problems I faced, and then guided me to the solution. My manager had gone on a 2-months maternity leave the day I joined the company, and so he took it on himself to welcome me and guide me until I settled down in my work. In private, he was an excellent confidant, and always gave me sound advice about life and career.

He was very young to be in the position that he was, so to me, he was a superb role model. He, in return, had high opinions about my work attitude and my personality in general. We clicked. Our relationship worked wonderfully. We were serious when talking about work, but we joked and laughed during more relaxed times. When I left the organisation, it was because I saw no future for me there in career advancement, and to move on to other areas of my interest. It was after admiting that he could not offer me what I was looking for then (not in that particular organisation), that he made me a promise to always keep me in mind if there was any good career opportunities suitable to my interest.

To this day, my ex-COO has kept his word. I am working here today, in a large, well-established organisation (can't speak well about the people in it though) because of him. He recommended me highly to the previous CFO (who has since left) for my entry into my current organisation.

And guess what? He is also the one pushing me through for the Miri job! Hence, he is another man I will be eternally grateful to.

Too bad he's married, hahaha :) (hey, just kidding)

No comments: