Monday, March 27, 2006

The Angel of Death

Today, I received news of two people being taken away by the Angel of Death.

My Gee Ee (mother's second sister), and a good friend's father, both passed away early this morning.

My Gee Ee has been ill and paralysed in a wheelchair for the last 6-7 years. Her health has been deteriorating ever since she had her second stroke a few years ago. My cousin and her husband, have been diligently taking care of her daily needs, answering her calls in the middle of the night for food or water or nature calls, bathing and feeding her.

It is a tantamount task to nurse and care for an ill and completely dependant elderly. She herself, has been asking for relieve from her suffering for a very long time. When my cousin informed us last weekend, that my Gee Ee has been warded in the ICU, we all knew that her time has come.

My Gee Ee has been in and out of the Putrajaya Hospital umpteenth times, it's like her second home! Once, her heart even stopped beating completely for almost a full minute but the doctors managed to revive her.

She used to have a bubbly personality, always laughing and cracking jokes. But the last time I went to visit her with my mom, right after the Chinese New Year, we saw that she was no longer herself. She had become withdrawn and quiet. She had lost her spirit to live, and she was "seeing and talking" to lots of "people", some dead and some alive.

At last this morning, she has been released of her suffering, of facing the days and nights in a wheelchair, not even being able to lie down to sleep. With bed sores and swollen legs, with shortness of breath, wearing adult pampers and taking medication after medication, these are the daily sufferings she no longer has to face.

My good friend's father?

He caught a bad case of pneumonia in less than a week ago, and was put under intubation. This morning, he passed on peacefully.

It's Ching Ming period starting today. The actual day is on 5 of April, but the period starts 10 days before and after. Call it superstition, but some believe that the Angel of Death roams our earth during this period, and it will take the weak spirited away to another place.

May both their beings be at peace, and may they pass on to a better place.

*Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu*

4 comments:

Mia said...

you beat me to writing about it.. so I will just divert all my kawan to your website... kidding ok?

So sorry for your loss. I still remember the phrase from Meet Joe Black... Death and Taxes.. can't avoid it!

Hv you moved in yet? Sorry cud not help ya.. was in a seminar on Sat and useless on Sunday.

Biow said...

:(

Phoenix Heart said...

It's ok, my whole family kind of expected it coming for some time now, each time she gets admitted to the hospital actually.

All the other times, she pulled through, to our surprise...except this time.

Yup, moved in liao. It's ok, I had ample help actually. Come over when u have the time...i've no furniture though...

Mia said...

No furniture... wow.. that's like me now.. got couch but the seats are unseatable due to the material in it disintegrating. Hmmm.. will try to visit you ..er... I say.. the only available weekend with no class is in 3 weeks...