Friday, March 10, 2006

Lights - They Brighten, and They Burn...

....a hole in the pocket!

I purchased some lights for my home last night. Some lights are to replace broken ones, and some others to replace ones which are either too ugly or too dim, in my living area, master bedroom and kitchen. All other existing lights are staying.

Anyhow, I bought in total 3 pairs and 2 single sets of lights (total of 8 lights) for a whopping RM990! These are not even bought from any branded shop, just from some cheapo light shop at one of the many furniture-mart-center-you-see-along-the-highway kind.

#Phew! I just rushed back to my office within 2 hours time of leaving my office this morning for my house. The contractor wanted me to mark out something in my house, and I HAD to do it today, he said, or else he wasn't going to do it! Did I have a choice?#

Back to my lights story...I wonder what the margin of these lights are sold for (pretty good, I'm sure). There were a few wall lights I saw at the shop I was at last night, which was similar to those in a few other shops I visited previously.

I am strongly suspicious of the possibility that there are only a few regular manufacturers in the market, but the lights produced are then sold to different retail outlets, which then resell these at different prices.

I picked to purchase my lights at this particular shop because I felt that the pricing there was the most reasonable, and their service was quite good. Besides, the outlet is located very near my house. Therefore, if there should be any need to visit them due to any faulty or defected products (I hope not), it's not too far away.

My living room and staircase will be bathed in warm yellow lights...I hope I don't have to squint my eyes reading the newspaper in the living room. Otherwise, I will have to change to white lights, which is not as soothing but it is brighter. We'll see... The living room pendant lights cost RM280 each, and I had to have two, so these cost the bulk of the purchase actually.

My master bedroom will also have two new wall lights, both in warm yellow lights, in addition to the existing flourescent one.

My kitchen, I thought it to be more appropriate to have the usual white light.

There, that's all the lights I paid for, expensive eh?

No wonder a friend told me the other day she spent almost RM2k on lights in her brand new house which she bought from the developer. Brand new houses have nothing inside, just a lousy sink in the kitchen which you'll probably change as well.

Tonight, I will be spending another bomb on kitchen cabinets in my dry kitchen...at least RM5k.

Geez, my next payday is not until another 2 weeks, yikes! These last few months, I have been living my life fit to the Malay saying of "kais pagi makan pagi, kais petang makan petang"....

2 comments:

Biow said...

((hugs)).. wait til u need to buy appliances.. water flask, periuk nasi and what nots.. hehe.. i'm not comforting ya? :(

Phoenix Heart said...

luckily some of the appliances my mom will be donating, phew!

but things like fridge, cooking stove & washing machine...alamak, have to buy sendiri lar.

completely pokai liao...