Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I Quit

I did it! I just handed over my resignation letter to my boss!

I think he sensed it coming, as I made sure my "body language" did a lot of hinting. Last week, when he was pounding on me on some remeh-temeh stuff on the phone from Manila (during his business trip), I almost wanted to scream at him that "I quit!". Instead, I had to hold my tongue, and decided to give a subtle hint, that I needed to "discuss something" with him, when he gets back.

This morning, before our weekly Tuesday morning update meeting started, I reminded him again that I have something to discuss with him at the end of it...just so that he is prepared.

Besides, I think he saw the little white envelope peeking out of my vibrant red Ambank diary I use to jot down my notes in meetings. He's a cunning guy, he could guess what was coming.

He had this disapproving and upset look on his face. He said he was disappointed that I am leaving so soon, after all the training I've gone through...

Geez, then why did he say things like asking me to look into the Recruitment page of the newpapers last year end? He also indicated that it was almost not realistic to expect any job transfers when I asked during my appraisal...then, telling me that if I want to leave, I should start looking around in 6 to 12 months time.

Hey, if I want to leave, I will do it at MY convenience when an opportunity arises, not at the company's convenience!

He asked where it was, and I said I prefer it to remain confidential until I get started there, but that it's "over the sea" (*hahaha* It's true, ain't it?). Then, I told him a little white lie when he asked whether the pay offered is better, and I said yes...well, yes, the basic pay, EPF, and all other benefits ARE better, except the allowance portion. As I mentioned in my earlier write-up, I will be taking a few hundred ringgit paycut per month if I compare the total annual cash package (basic, EPF, allowance and bonus only)....one which I am quite sure will be temporary for a year at the most.

I also indicated that I will do my best to keep everything up-to-date as long as I am here...You see, I requested that I leave in 1 month's notice period where officially, I have to give 3 months' notice. If they don't agree to waive the 2 months' notice, then my new employer is willing to pay off the salary in-lieu of notice.

I am trying to save my employer's money by getting that waiver, if possible...such a good employee I am, aren't I?

*Karkarkar*

5 comments:

Biow said...

ahh finally.. congrats!

Mia said...

Wow.. you go girl. So leaving me soon eh? Sob sob! Oh.. well, it's not like I see you every week even though we are so near. What kind of kawan we are... I know.. the busy kind.

Let's hope that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I will pop by Miri.. I am giving ample warning about my blustery self arriving.

Phoenix Heart said...

Ame, you will be most welcome to come and accompany me in my lonely nest there!

Come, come, please do :)

Just let me know when, & we can arrange something.

Spot said...

congratulations!

*throws confetti made of shredded old appointment letters*

now tell us about the first nights in your new place!

Phoenix Heart said...

Eh, old appointment letters not necessarily meant to be shredded one wor...aiyo-yo!