Friday, March 31, 2006

Opening Ceremony of my Cosy Home

Too many episodes have taken place the whole of this week, so much so that writing about my move into my new house has taken a secondary priority.

Last weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), was spent moving into my newly-readied humble abode, and shopping for the little necessities. It was a back-breaking exercise, but one which was thankfully helped by four other friends (Debz, backwards...forwards, Spot and snowdrop). It was pretty hard for me to believe that my possessions in my tiny little room (of 9 years) took 5 car trips to be moved out to my new house! Actually, the count will be 6 trips soon, as I still have a few other things I need to pick up this weekend, which just couldn't fit in anymore then. Amazing what rubbish you can "collect" over the years!

Up till today, I have not started unpacking (too darn lazy!). Except for my working clothes which my mom helped me unpack to be hung in my wardrobe, everything else are in boxes, plastic bags and trays lying on the floor of the rooms. In short, it's currently a total mess.

The official move-in date was last Saturday, 25 March 2006. I was glad when my mom agreed to do the "opening ceremony" together with me, i.e. accompanied me to stay on the first night. It felt a little bit spooky to live in a house full of echos...maklumlah, my house is practically void of furniture except for one "kesian" dinning table set!

Once moved in, my mom and I went shopping on Sunday. I bought water filters, water purifiers, sliding door and window curtains, floormats, a non-stick frying pan, household detergents, groceries and a queen-sized bed (which came to a total of almost RM1k!). I also just found out yesterday, that it costs almost RM150 to purchase a full set of cooking gas to fit my stove!

Anyhow, I have been spending most of my nights there alone these weekdays, and it is beginning to feel like a real home to me, so cosy and it's all mine! (well, technically, it's still the bank's for another 20 years or so, haha). But it feels so good to own something which I have achieved out of my own sweat and blood. No help from my mom this time...except perhaps the renovation portion, which if possible, I will not borrow from her either. (She is currently my back-up plan if I am really short though...*sigh* my contractor has just informed me that his invoice is on my table for my further action...)

I'm still not used to having to climb up and down so many flights of stairs, again and again when I forget something. It's so tiring! It's been 11 years since I moved out of my old double-storey semi-detached house in Melaka into the current single storey terrace house we are living in. So there hasn't been any stairs to climb or to mop for so long!

Well, I am gradually trying to make it cosy, gradually because I have no more cash to buy furniture or decorations. So when Spot recently got me a house-warming gift of 2 pretty lamp shades, I was most delighted about it as I had planned to get 2 of these as well...now I've got them, yay!

I'd love to have my friends over, but I am too embarassed of the state it's in right now. Unpacked things lying on the rooms' floor with barely any furniture, isnt exactly a pretty sight. But eventually, this will get better...eventually.

So here's to my gradual growth of my cosy home!

7 comments:

Mia said...

Yay! Your place is your own. I can imagine having my own place. I will one day... mine and no one elses. But that will be a modest 600-900sqft apt which I doubt hubby will want to live in if there are kids driving up the wall.

Eh.. what can I get you for house warming? A juicer? A toaster? An iron? Please let me know....

Spot said...

Hmm...we should have helped you pack. It's all in the packing, both into boxes and into cars. :)

I moved from a 3 bedroom apt to a studio in 1 small lorry and 2 carloads. So scared my mattress fall off the lorry, but the lorry fella was a champ.

Take your time to unpack...maybe no need to at all, since you'll be leaving soon! :(

The first shopping after you've moved in is the most exciting. All kinds of things...detergent, penyapu, mop, pail, salt, sugar etc. Fun! Just ignore the credit and savour the experience!

Congratulations on moving into your new home!

Phoenix Heart said...

Ame, Already got a juicer (redemption fr credit card points), toaster & iron (hand-me-downs from mom)...I need a fridge & washing machine (*hahaha* wink*)... Or a cordless phone, or a crock pot, or cookware, or set of dinner plates...enuf choices? The list can go on & on :) Thanks a mil!

Suz, IGNORE the credit? No way! I already owe RM13k on my credit cards on instalment scheme, and my contractor just gave me his final invoice of RM28k!!

OMG, I need to rob a bank, anyone wanna help me? u'll get 30% for driving the getaway car :0/

Biow said...

want to congrats you but also thinking u'r going away.. :(

what's going to happen to ur "nest"? ur mom help u jaga once a while?

Phoenix Heart said...

Biow, my nest will still be my nest lor. No changes.

As I mentioned earlier to u all, I will come back once a month. And whenever i need to come to KL for work, I will stay there lor.

Other times, a friend of mine will be free to use my place, and take care of it.

Mia said...

i book the crock pot ok...Can get that for you! A size that can fit one person or 4 ok?

Phoenix Heart said...

Ame, Any size will do, beggars can't be choosers :)

Yay, now I can make my own soup in Miri, yippee :D

Thanks!